There is no such thing as “one-size-fits-all” in diet, health, lifestyle…anything! So, I’m never going to recommend that everyone MUST try this or that product or cleansing protocol. Instead, I want to help you customize your cleanse this year by matching your “level” (i.e. experience with cleansing + lifestyle factors) with a safe and effective protocol. So…what’s your level of joyful cleansing?
Level 1: GENTLY, PLEASE!!
Your Constitution: For the rank beginner. You have never in your life done a cleanse, and you are just dipping your toes in the water. Lifestyle factors include “no way am I giving up my coffee – ever!”, daily alcohol and tobacco use, diet high in saturated fats.
Your ideal cleanse includes: Read this article first: “Spring cleaning from the inside out“. Drink more water, add more fiber, seriously consider cutting down, tapering off or quitting completely (just for a few days…) saturated fats, coffee, tobacco, alcohol, and sugar. Even just a few days of being a little easier on your body will initiate cleansing. You may also want to indulge in a sauna or steam bath, getting a massage and taking long walks.
Level 2: THE MIDDLE PATH (This is how I usually cleanse)
Your Constitution: You have some experience cleansing, maybe once or twice a year. You try to follow a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise, but it’s been a long, lazy, indulgent winter and your favorite jeans are a little too tight. (I’m right there with ya!) Your New Year’s Resolution is to get healthy and you really want to accomplish a cleanse to re-boot your metabolism, adrenals, immunity and overall energy.
Your ideal cleanse includes: Cutting out all caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, saturated fats and refined sugar for one week. During the “cleansing” phase (about 3 days), here’s what I do:
- First thing in the morning, one tablespoon psyllium husk, one tablespoon bentonite clay, 2 oz organic apple juice and top off the glass with water. Stir really well and drink immediately (the psyllium husk will thicken as it sits in the liquid). Chase with ACV and honey.
- One tablespoon Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, one teaspoon raw honey in 8 oz water three times a day
- One glass of water with one dropper-full of my Clean Livin’ tincture (blessed thistle, dandelion root and nettles with a couple drops of juniper berry tincture) three times a day
- Alternate glasses full of water with organic apple juice – chew the juice before you swallow to activate digestive enzymes.
- If apple juice is too sugary, dilute with water or substitute low-sodium organic broth.
- Before bed, drink 1/4 cup of organic olive oil and 1/4 cup organic lemon juice or fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (YAK!) and sleep on your right side. This stimulates the secretion of bile and will work with your morning fiber drink to get things movin’ !
On the fourth day, it is imperative to break a cleanse gently. Start by adding steamed vegetables only. Eat as many as you like, continue with the early morning fiber and ACV tonic drink. On day five, add a probiotic drink of your choice (I prefer kefir made from fresh goats milk – YUM!), and on day six add whole grains.
Your constitution: You are a seasoned cleanser. You fast once a week, and do a hard core cleanse every spring and every fall without fail. You never smoke or drink, you avoid sugar and saturated fats. You exercise regularly.
Your ideal cleanse includes: In fact, you probably already have a protocol that you have found matches your constitution very well. Good for you!
***I am not an MD, and none of the information in this article or related to The Holistic Homestead claims to prevent, diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. Please use common sense, and consult a licensed physician before attempting a cleanse of any kind. ***