Here’s the shortlist of books that I’ve personally found inspiring, enlightening and heart opening! Even if you just carry a spiritual book around with you for the week without ever opening the covers, you will have made a tiny step toward spiritual growth. I’ve done that, especially with books that I’m not sure about, or something a friend gave me and I was left wondering, “Well, what do I do with this??” Finally, weeks or months later I got around to reading it and found it to be just what the Doctor ordered!
Since this is the very very short list, please feel free to add your own suggestions in the comments below!
- Gethsemani Encounter (Buddhist and Catholic dialogue – fascinating!)
- Everything by Thomas Merton, especially Mystics and Zen Masters and Contemplative Prayer
- Everything by Kathleen Norris, especially Acedia and Me, and The Cloister Walk
- The Art of Happiness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- The Way of the Bodhisattva by Shantideva (I have a habit of reading the last chapter every night before going to bed)
- Anything by Deepak Chopra, especially his newest bestseller What are you hungry for?
- Everything by Jack Kornfield, especially After the ecstasy, the laundry
Have your own best reads? Submit them below!