In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic and the many ways it is affecting our daily lives, the Homestead has an important role to play in keeping our community safe and healthy. As Gilpin County’s only source for fresh, wholesome foods, we will stay open and stocked to the best of our ability to serve everyone in our community who will continue to need access to food, health and wellness products and household goods.
Folks still need to eat! And here at the Homestead Market, we are the lowest risk outlet for the daily necessities that keep our community going. We encourage you to come in, if you are healthy, during our regular hours Thursdays through Sundays from 10-3.
Here’s what we’re doing at the Market to keep our customers safe and healthy:
- Starting Thursday, March 19th: Expanding the Food Share pick up to ANYTIME Thursday through Sunday, 10-3. Hopefully this will space out the number of folks coming to pick up their shares. We receive our produce Thursday mornings. Curbside pickup is available! Please call 303.582.3001
- All customers are encouraged to use hand sanitizer and put on single-use disposable gloves while shopping
- Wiping all commonly touched surfaces (tables, chairs, door handles, counters, etc) with BLEACH twice a day
- Wearing single-use disposable gloves when handling produce and exchanging money
- Washing our hands FREQUENTLY
- Volunteers who have mild symptoms are asked to stay home
- All events and workshops are CANCELLED through the end of April (our weekly meditation has moved to an ONLINE format, click here to join us Thursdays from 4-5)
Here’s what we’re working on to serve the broader community:
- Expanding our delivery service to include any shelf-stable grocery items. Check out the additional items you can purchase through our online store (this is a work in progress!) https://squareup.com/store/homesteadmarket
- Students from Gilpin School District who do not have internet access at home are welcome to use our free WiFi to submit homework assignments
- Working with Kayla Lowe, director of Eagle’s Nest, to coordinate the continuation of the Mountain Backpack distribution from the Homestead
- Opening the Market on Wednesdays from 10-3 for SENIORS ONLY (60+) who are in good health and not self-isolating, so that you can enjoy a safe shopping experience and get what you need for the week. SENIORS will receive a 5% discount on Wednesdays, curbside pick-up available! Please click here to order online, or call 303.582.3001.
- Working with Alpine Botanicals and the Mountain People’s CoOp to expand accessibility to health and wellness support, and grocery items both at the Homestead Market and through delivery
- Coordinating with other community partners to fill gaps in critical services including the Rec Center, Health and Human Services, and the Library.
Volunteer support is needed here!
If you are healthy, and passionate about serving your community NOW, click here to sign up for a volunteer shift. Duties include cleaning, organizing, stocking, inventory, recycling, and packing orders (and occasionally entertaining my baby!). When you volunteer for 10 hours or more a month you qualify for the 20% volunteer discount! If you don’t want to commit to a weekly “shift” you can always pop into the Market and ask “how can I help?”
Thanks for being part of this amazing community as we come together to protect our most vulnerable, and support and inspire each other. Please wash your hands, stay healthy and safe.