I’m a “middle-of-the-road” kinda cleanser. Which is really just my way of saying I hate fasting! So, when I’m cleansing I make sure to surround myself with plenty of super healthy, filling, and delicious options to keep me inspired (and to keep me from breaking down and going for those cookies in the back of the pantry)!
Here’s what I do first thing in the morning for every day of my 7 day cleanse:
- Wake up with a smile, and a few deep, cleansing breaths.
- Fiber drink: 1T bentonite clay, 1T psyllium husk, 2 oz raw, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple juice, and 6 oz water. Stir well, drink immediately.
- Chase with 1T Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, and 1T raw honey in 8 oz water.
- Wait 30 minutes to 1 hr, take a probiotic with another 8 oz water. (As you can imagine, this will keep you full for quite a while!)
Once my stomach has emptied, usually by 10 or so, I’m ravenously hungry! So, what’s for breakfast?
Let’s start with something light and delicious like Bob’s Red Mill High Fiber Cereal (they have gluten free varieties!) soaked overnight in Almond Milk, or cooked fresh in the alternative milk of your choice. Throw in a handful of flaxseed, a dollop of coconut oil, sprinkle with the fresh, organic fruit of your choice, and drizzle with honey or maple syrup – et voila! I can live with this kinda breakfast for the next 7 days, you bet.
The best thing about a hearty bowl of oatmeal is you can mix it up! Try these mixers to keep your breakfast fresh and interesting during your cleanse:
- add a dollop of non-dairy yogurt
- crumble on your favorite vegan friendly and gluten free granola
- try soaking the night before with other whole grains like rye, barley, and oat groats
- add nuts and seeds of your choice! Pumpkin, sunflower, flax, chia, and all raw, organic nuts add amazing texture and flavor
- make your own granola! mix up your dry ingredients, add 1/2 the milk and liquid sweetener you normally use and toast it! Bake at 150 to 200 Fahrenheit for up to 1 hr, stirring constantly (stirring is really the key to not burning your homemade granola)
Pro-cleansing tip: have everything prepared before hand, so when you get hungry you don’t have to think about what you’re going to eat!