Whether you are doing a one day, three day or ten day cleanse, detoxifying is not without it’s challenges. It’s kinda like signing up for a yoga class, and you finally go, and half-way through it you are sweating and shaking and wondering why you’re trying to fold yourself into a pretzel? But in the very next breath, the teacher moves into the ending meditation and you think – “I made it!” That’s exactly how I feel right in the middle of a cleanse. All those toxins are flying around, hopefully moving out, I’m trying not to give in to this headache and go for a cup of coffee or an Ibuprofen…
These strategies will help you cope with the hard part of doing a cleanse (mostly the hunger and fatigue) and help inspire you to see it through to the end:
1. Your level of cleansing will dictate your level of hunger. If you are opting for a complete fast, sometimes starting a crock-pot recipe (like lentil stew or bone broth) will satisfy your craving for pungent and spicy aromas.
2. If you are doing a juice fast, definitely “chew” the juice for one minute or longer before swallowing. Digestive enzymes in your saliva start to break down the juice in your mouth.
3. Start the day with a high-fiber drink. I start every day of my cleanse with 1 T Bentonite Clay, 1 T Psyllium Husk and 1/4 cup apple juice in 6 – 8 ounces of water. Drink slowly, “chew” before swallowing, and chase with a glass of water with 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 T raw honey. This keeps me full for hours!
4. Wrap up warm and snug in your favorite fleece and take a nap!
5. Drink a glass of apple juice
6. Put a little honey on a spoon and suck on it for a while
7. Watch a movie, read a book, surf the web. Try this guided relaxation from Spinachandyoga.com:
8. Homeopathic Pulsatilla is my go-to for headaches during a cleanse. Homeopathic remedies are completely safe and will not interfere with the cleansing process.
9. If your headache is definitely from caffeine withdrawal, open the coffee can or grind some fresh beans and smell the wonderful aroma – or make a fresh pot of coffee to fill the house with that old familiar fragrance.
10. Try acupressure on your temples, under your ears, and in-between your thumbs and forefingers. Press firmly and hold as hard as your can for 3 to 5 minutes.
11. Roll out that yoga mat and lay down! Try some simple, supine stretching, bring your knees into your chest, roll your head from side to side.
12. Move slowly and breathe deeply.
13. If faintness is severe (from low blood sugar) you may need to modify your cleanse by adding more calories. Take this as a good sign that you are listening to your body and taking care of yourself. Start with some steamed veggies, plain oatmeal or rice, or make a low-sugar smoothie (with bitter greens like kale, spinach, or dandelion).
Hi nice readingg your post